Friday, June 17, 2011

Musings on Creativity, Part 2


I never really had a plan to be a mosaic artist, it was just a thought in the back of my mind, something I didn't totally connect with.  There were still blocks in my mind to daring to be an artist - "WHO do you think YOU are?" being the biggest one!

Last year my husband and I went to Asheville, NC on vacation - and it was pure magic!  I have been there many times over the past 20 years and watched it develop and come into it's own as an art city.  One day I stumbled into the Jonas Gerard Gallery (you really MUST check him out - http://www.jonasgerard.com/.  No REALLY, go there now!).  His work hit me right in the heart.  He came out of his studio and we started talking. He is a very sweet unassuming man.  You would never know he has work at the Smithsonian and all over the world.  But he took the time to talk to me and for some reason took a liking to my husband and I.  I asked if there were any mosaic artists in Asheville as I had not seen any.  He looked and me and said "No, do you have a portfolio?"  He believed I was a mosaic artist and in that moment I became one!  That's all it took. He fanned the sparks and now it's a flame that won't quit.  Just like the Velveteen Rabbit, sometimes all it takes   is for someone to believe we are real... 

1 comment:

  1. I just found you! I picked up your card at Margo's Ice Cream Parlor.....love the mosaics and might need to take a class!

    ReplyDelete