Friday, July 22, 2011

Mixed Media

I'm delving into a new world - mixed media using glass mosaics, poly clay and encaustic paint!  If you don't know what encaustic paint is, never fear, I had no clue what it was before a few months ago!  Now I see it all over the place.  Encaustic painting is painting with pigmented beeswax, of all things.  I had first seen it at the Phoenix Village Art Center in Phoenixville at a show where they had an encaustic artist demonstrating.  She let me try it and I was completely blown away!  Not only was it great fun but it lit up something in me and I have been dying to use it with my mosaics.  I got the chance when I was asked to submit a piece of artwork for a competetion for MOSAIC Community Land Trust of Pottstown.  It seemed a perfect fit so I first tried a piece of my own and then did a couple of pieces to be incorporated into the exhibit.  It's still a work in progress but here is my first attempt at encaustic and the work in progress for the competition.
Details on the competiton can be found here - http://pottstownclt.wordpress.com/arts/
I welcome any thoughts!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment